I’m Meghan. I love to cook and eat mostly simple-to-make food made with whole ingredients. To me, food is a means of storytelling and showing love to those around you, and I plan to share many stories and recipes with you here. If you’re new, you can read my first post here! You’ll get a great cookie recipe as a present for doing so.
I started this blog in December 2014 and it’s been a great way for me to explore my loves of food, travel, sustainability (esp. from a food and farming perspective) and writing. I document dishes I create in my head, borrow from other bloggers, or adapt from the myriad cookbooks I own. Some of my recipes are inspired by travels that my fiancé, Ben, and I go on, such as these ridiculously amazing Knock-Off Artichoke Beignets. We are in the midst of wedding planning so you may find some rants about planning and details here in the coming months. We got engaged at a magical place called the Farmhouse at Veritas that specializes in delicious wine, love, and lip balm.
Outside of this blog, here are a few other projects I’m working on:
- Capital Food and Drink – a to-be-published story and cookbook about the wonders of western Loudoun County, Virginia. I spent the spring and early part of summer 2015 interviewing farm, wine, beer, spirits, restaurant, and other industry professionals about why, how, and what they do and have learned a ton in the process. I’ll continue to blog here about progress and updates on the book, under the “Capital Food and Drink Book” label at the top.
- I began blogging for CAKE&WHISKEY Magazine in January 2015 and am really honored to write for this sweet and spirited publication that celebrates women and business. I made a really delicious bourbon-soaked cake to celebrate my first post going live on their website.
- Ben and I bought a new house and while we are decorating a little, most of our effort has gone into addressing and fixing a massive water leak and mold problem in our kitchen. Recipes may be few and far between while we go through this process, but I’m planning to get creative with my toaster oven!
To close, here are three facts about me:
- I love vegetables and have been told by many people that I’ve helped them eat more veggies — something I’m proud of! However, I am also a die-hard ice cream fan. Chocolate chip cookie dough is my favorite and the very best in the entire world, I’m convinced, can be found at the Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen in Louisville, Kentucky.
- When I’m in the kitchen, I often carry a little extra weight around thanks to a cat-who-likes-to-pretend-he’s-a-scarf named Nori. He’s a semi-professional taste tester (read…food thief) and has a thing for butter, avocado and olive oil.
- I live in Alexandria, VA and really love it. There are amazing farms, wineries, and other local goods that I just can’t get enough of just a short drive away, plus a ton of really delicious restaurants all throughout the Alexandria and D.C. region.
Hope you enjoy and visit often!